Well Ways Program for Carers
Well Ways is a family education program facilitated by carers. The Well Ways suite of programs is designed to increase the capacity of families, carers and friends to care effectively for themselves, other family members and their friends living with mental illness. The course provides informal workshops involving group discussions, videos and practical demonstrations which are designed around adult learning principles.
Current research evidence and the experience of families who have lived with mental illness combine to help families in a way that purely medical information cannot. Our family-to-family model offers the opportunity to benefit from the wisdom and experience of our family educators.
The program includes:
- Up to date information about anxiety, depression, bi-polar disorder, schizophrenia, obsessive-compulsive disorders, schizoaffective disorder and dual diagnosis (drug and alcohol abuse and mental illness).
- Information about mental health services available to you and your family.
- Practical insight into behaviour associated with mental illness and strategies to respond effectively.
- Practical frameworks to improve communication and problem solving skills.
- The dilemmas and complexities of the caring role.
How does it work?
Well Ways consists of a block of eight weekly sessions followed by four bi-monthly sessions.
The Well Ways program is funded to provide carer education workshops in North and South Metropolitan Perth. This program also extends to the South West regions of Western Australia including:
- South West Goldfields
- Wheat belt area
Well Ways Regional Project works with:
- Pathways92 (Bunbury)
- Lamp (Busselton)
- BOICO Bay of Isles Community Outreach (Esperance)
For those in outlying or isolated rural areas a more flexible option may be the Snapshot program, which consists of two three to four hour sessions.
For people with a dual diagnosis of mental illness and drug or alcohol problems the Duo program takes place over 10 weeks of three-hour weekly group sessions.
Well Ways Carer Education Suite
Well Ways Carer Education suite of programs include:
- Building a Future – a Well Ways 8 week Program. This program is suitable for families, friends and carers of people with mental illness.
- Snapshot - an introductory Well Ways 7.5 hour Program presented over 2 days. This program is suitable for families, friends and carers of people with mental illness.
- Duo - a Well Ways 6 week Program. This program is suitable for carers, families and friends of people with mental illness and co-existing substance use (dual diagnosis- drug/alcohol and mental illness).
- MI Recovery – is a Well Ways Program suitable for person with the mental illness, facilitated by people with a lived experience of mental illness.
For more information please visit the Well Ways Suite brochures
For the next Well Ways program click here Well Ways & Carer Program Events
Carer Services provide regular opportunities for carers to hear from speakers that are experts in their field on topics that may enhance the caring role. To find out more information please visit Well Ways & Carer Program Events.